As a statewide, industry-led not-for-profit partnership, FloridaMakes works to strengthen and advance Florida’s manufacturing sector through talent development, technology assistance, and business growth. We operate through a network of the state’s Regional Manufacturers Associations, and partner with public and private service providers—including research and education institutions, consultants, and training providers—to improve the overall performance of individual firms, creating and retaining an advanced manufacturing workforce and improving Florida’s manufacturing economy.
FloridaMakes provides improvement solutions to manufacturers to increase growth and bottom-line savings, and develops initiatives designed to advance the State’s manufacturing sector through talent development, technology assistance and business growth. We deliver innovative assessment, training and consulting services customized to meet the specific needs of our clients. Clients include all manufacturers in the state of Florida, with a focus on small-to-mid-sized firms. FloridaMakes is the NIST Hollings Manufacturing Extension Partnership (NIST MEP) affiliate in Florida and is a non-profit, industry-led partnership of federal, state, and private industry (www.floridamakes.com).
FloridaMakes, headquartered in Orlando, FL is operated by regional manufacturers associations throughout the state, and in partnership with other related organizations to provide services to manufacturers throughout the entire State.
The Manufacturing Advocacy Coordinator is primarily responsible for supporting the development and support of a statewide strategy for strengthening and advancing Florida’s manufacturing economy. A successful candidate will be expected to perform duties that contribute to selected projects including: a manufacturing policy agenda, grassroots advocacy, and government relationships. These duties include, but are not limited to, contributing to the successful planning and execution Tallahassee Days, Hill Day, meetings of the Florida Manufacturing and Supply Chain Caucus, researching, reporting and analyzing policies as they relate to impact on the manufacturing sector.
Responsibilities and Activities
- Support communications activities as well as legislative and stakeholder outreach.
- Develop a wide range of materials in support of the advocacy strategy such as action alerts, legislative summaries, fact sheets, and reports.
- Draft policy papers relevant to the manufacturing industry in the State of Florida.
- Strategize efforts to cultivate state support for manufacturing and the FloridaMakes mission.
- Work with Regional Manufacturers Associations (RMAs) and partners to strategize industry advocacy regionally and statewide.
- Track and report on advocacy activities including evaluating the impact of techniques to increase RMA engagement in advocacy and identifying and implementing best practices.
- Maintain regular communications with legislative and agency staff.
- Share news about manufacturers in their district
- Coordinate possible plant tours with the support of the External Affairs team.
- Support FloridaMakes programs and outreach through data analysis and verification, assist in maintenance and upkeep of organizational databases, resource libraries and contact management systems.
- Track engagements with legislators, elected officials, and manufacturers in our network.
- Monitor policy activities; advise staff about relevant proposals and actions to analyze potential impacts.
- Collaborate with the Communications Manager about messaging and social media strategies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
FloridaMakes External Affairs Team
- Work as a member of the FloridaMakes External Affairs team by integrating activities, contributing to the team’s goals and objectives, and share best practices.
- Articulate the team’s roles and responsibilities as they pertain to the FloridaMakes strategic goals and objectives.
- Contribute to the overall health, welfare, and resilience of FloridaMakes by contributing to the design of the organization’s policies and procedures, and by ensuring compliance with those procedures within his/her scope of influence.
- Represent the best interests of FloridaMakes to outside customers, stakeholders, investors, and the public.
- Contribute, as necessary, to the development and capture of opportunities and programming with other team members that may bring additional value and service capacity to FloridaMakes, as well as contribute to the sustainability of the organization in the long-term.
- A bachelor’s degree in political science, business, or non-profit management and at least two years of experience in the areas of public policy and / or grassroots advocacy.
- Demonstrates support of FloridaMakes operational values.
- Good organizational, verbal and written communication skills as well as ability to multi-task are essential.
- Competency in utilizing basic research tools including online databases.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience with MS Office package software applications with advanced skills using Microsoft PowerPoint and Excel.
- Exhibits initiative and creativity.
- Ability to work with others as a team; accepts and responds well to constructive criticism.
- Professional appearance and conduct; respectful to all.
This position is based out of the FloridaMakes headquarters office in Orlando, FL, however the position may be operated elsewhere within the state, supplemented by regular in-person meetings as necessary. This position requires travel both within Florida and periodically out-of-state.
The employee uses computer and telephone equipment. The employee will be required to staff trade show booths, including transporting materials, set up and tear down. The employee may be required to work long hours at certain times. Occasional weekends or evenings may be required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The position reports to the Executive Vice President. This position has no supervisory responsibilities. This position is not expected to have supervisory responsibility.
Compensation is based on experience. FloridaMakes offers a very competitive benefits package, offers a 401K plan, and has a generous time-off policy.
FloridaMakes is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, marital status or veteran status.
$42,000.00 - $45,000.00 per year
Willingness To Travel
Temporarily due to COVID-19
To apply, send resume and cover letter, indicating “manufacturing advocacy coordinator” in the cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.